Thursday, September 18, 2008

Treating Myself


I'm going to gloat for a second. I worked hard around the house today and have decided to reward myself by popping a bottle I've been eyeing since I got it at an absurdly low price. I won't give you exact numbers, but at my local, sort-of-sketchy wine/Middle Eastern/Asian food shop I saw a bottle of Jean Foillard's Morgon "Cote du Py" 2006 for, like, uh, $15 less than I used to sell it for. I grabbed it and didn't let go. But it was the only bottle I could find in the store, and I couldn't find a staff member to locate another. Maybe it's all for the better cause I would have cleared them out of it.

Anyway, you know my feelings on Beaujolais, and ever since tasting the 2006 Foillard @ a Lynch tasting, I had to get my hands on a bottle. Many of my insanely-awesome daily-read blogs have commented on Foillard, especially Mr. LF himself...a few times. Wine Terroirs even visited Mr. Foillard and got star treatment! (The picture is courtesy of him...and this pic makes me very happy.) Bastardo of the Gang of Pour and Jamie at Wine Anorak, among MANY others have sung the praises of his "Cote du Py". (Also a really cool panoramic from the top of the, uh, Mt. Py.)


I opened it at let it breathe for a few hours while I folded laundry and when I finally swirled and sniffed--I fell in love. Roses, rhubarb, tart cherries, strawberry, some sort of oolong tea business--very aromatic in a very cohesive way. Mmm. It tastes like glossy cherry satin, with some definite earthy rich notes, and a yummy long little spicy something on the finish. Moreover the aromas and flavors evolved and changed...as I watched the lastest episode of Project Runway on youtube. (Love that show. I hope the finals are Jarrel, Korto, and Leanne. Kenlee is getting on my NERVES.)
Happiness is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Korroch said...

i appreciate the visuals. thank you. i just got home from nora bang and i now need to sleep. love you.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home