Thursday, September 04, 2008

Miss Understanding

Oh, it's only been a few months, settle down. I'm going to try to at least post a little blurb each morning as I have my coffee.

Things have changed--a job change, big move, all for the best. Maybe not wine-wise, but I think I can deal with it. Just a quick note on prejudice.

Terroir does not mean a wine smells like poo and brett. A Pomerol can taste like cherry cordial and still be expressing terroir. What the fuck is a merlot trying to say if it tastes like a "merlot" plus toasted oak and 15.6 abv?

French wine does not all taste the same. Hello? Does any wine from any nation taste the same? Duh. If you want a super-plush, pillowy-sweet, choco-mocha-oaky, muscle-red wine you can find plenty of those in Frogland.

I hate "grape" flavor. Here I mean the classic Welch's grape juice/jam/jelly flavor. Yes, that's Concord for the rest of you. I have never liked anything that flavor...ever. I think it's nasty.

Vintage matters.

Sauvignon Blanc is not usually profound, but very very yummy. Salvard 2007 Cheverny--mainly Sauvignon plus a little Chard. Superyum.

We are lead to believe that things are should be lined up good-better-best. How about yes, there are some good, some not so good, but mainly, lots of different.

Don't hate me because I sort of love things that taste sort of...bad. I like tutti-fruity things too!

If you see me drinking something that's over 14 abv--I'm not contemplating the wine, I'm getting plastered.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home