Sunday, November 23, 2008

Aromas of Blasphemy

Sorry, its been a few days since I’ve posted. The change of weather, illness, and lack of inspiring vino has left me to post about the one amazing botella I’ve had lately.

USofA winemakers:
Experiment, do something DIFFERENT for God’s sake. Thank you Dashe (and others, I know you’re out there, too).



Dashe Cellars 2007 McFadden Farms, Potter Valley Zinfandel “L’Enfant Terrible”, $25, 13.8% abv

What a long name for such a lovely wine! Yes, this baby has been the subject, not of controversy, but a lot of bloggish hubbub. For traditionalist it may be a blasphemous interpretation if Zin, yet us Beaujo freaks and natural wine enthusiasts see it as a domestic victory. Wherever your vinous philosophies lie, this wine is tasty.

I read somewhere that Mike Dashe calls this wine his cool-climate, Cali answer to a Cru Beaujo, and he is spot on. Remeniscent of a Foillard Morgon, this wine, fermented by natural yeasts, aged in a somewhat-neutral, large, foudre-type barrel thing, this wine is crazy low in ABV compared to most Zin. It has that cherry pie, lipstick, strawberry-rhubarb, brown sugar, and dark stony aroma that makes it uber-yum. Even some of my friends who adore the big, spicy, jammy Zin concurred. I even got a choco-vanilla lover to claim, “I guess I like some reds without oak.”


This lady loves it, too. Too much.

This is going to be ONE of my Turkey day wines. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. If I had to go all USofA wine, I’d do this, some Rocks & Gravel some OMP Rielsing and some L. Mawby Blanc de Blancs. But I probably won’t do that. I'll just watch the new Beyonce video over and over and over and over...



4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Korroch said...

You said Mawby. Sniffle. I want to be one of those dancers.

I miss you.

You were sick? My Mom is really sick, too.

BUT I am happy because I booked 3 weeks in SE Asia! Woot.

How goes life in your neck of the woods (across the pond, over the hills, and under the planets)?

5:31 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

NICE. I wasn't really sick, I was fighting off getting sick. Make sense? Things are just dandy here.

Have fun in SE Asia! I need a full report. Going to CHI 3 times in Dec.

9:30 AM  
Blogger vanguy said...

Where is Potter Valley?

Found this blog through WLTV comments.

Best wishes,
T
http://TheProvince.com/liveat5
http://twitter.com/vanguy

2:40 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Thanks for the comment, T!

Potter Valley is in Mendocino County, CA. Here's a map:

http://www.welcomeranch.com/visit/califmap.gif

Mendocino wines are crazy values and awesome cool-climate sites.

-M

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home