Saturday, April 28, 2007

(re)Start

Yes, I've been away from this for, oh, almost a year. Cut me some slack, I'm a student finishing up my B.A. in English. I had books to read. And fun to have. You know, the typical college life.

Plus lots of wine.

Instead of trying to recount half-taken tasting notes, I will just sort of try to list things that I've tasted in a half-assed way. Oh, and there's a 1,5 L of Veuve in my fridge right now.

Sparking:
Cremant, L. Mawby, Lelanau Peninsula (100% Vignoles)
Yellow Label, Veuve Clicquot, Champagne
Rosé, Veuve Clicquot, Champagne
Brut 1998 (?), Veuve Clicquot, Champagne
Cuvée Brut, Blason de Bourgogne, Burgundy
some godforsakenly good Prosecco that I'd remember if I saw it
2005 Vidal Blanc Creekbend Vineyard, Oliver, Indiana
Etoile, California
Blanc de Blanc, Gloria Ferrer, Sonoma
Blanc de Noir, Gloria Ferrer, Sonoma
lots of Cava while in Barcelona
Brut, Scharffenberger, Mendocino

White:
oh God, this is going to take forever, can we just say, white Rhone-ish blends, Riesling, Albariño
2005 Albariño Clover Creek Vineyard, Longoria, Santa Ynez Valley (This beauty was a gift from a friend/coworker--and it was heavenly, subtle brown sugar spices, pineapple candy, and more, yet all wrapped in a crisp dry acidity--one of the most memorable wines I've had. And memory is key.)
2005 Albariño, Burgan, Rias Baixas
2004 Cote du Tablas Blanc, Tablas Creek, Paso Robles (Mmm. Rhone white blends.)
2006 Riesling, Sumarroca, Penedés (Yes, a lovely dry riesling from Catalunya.)
2005 Riesling Reserve, Pierre Sparr, Alsace
2004 "Jean Baptiste" Riesling Kabinett, Gunderloch, Rheingau
2005 Pinot Blanc, Peninsula Cellars (one of my favorite white producers--ever), Old Mission Peninsula (one of my favorite AVAs, and probably most beautiful in the entire country--yes I said it!)
2005 Chardonnay, Peninsula Cellars, Old Mission Peninsula
2005 Arcturos Dry Riesling, Black Star Farms, Old Mission Peninsula
2005 Gewurztraminer Manigold Vineyard, Peninsula Cellars, Old Mission Peninsula
2005 Riesling Whole Cluster, Chateau Grand Traverse, Old mission Peninsula
2005 Gewurstraminer Resonance Vineard, Sineann, Columbia Valley, OR (Tied with the Peninsula Cellars Gewurz as the best I've ever had.)
2005 Gruner Veltliner, Lois, Austria (Mind you, none of these are going to be completely accurate.)
more of the 2005 Pansa Blanca, Marqués de Alella, Alella (I was in Barcelona--so close to Alella, and saw this wine at El Corte Inglés, but did not procure any.)
2006 Viognier Y-series, Yalumba, Australia (I drank the entire bottle...right out of the bottle. At a dance party. Viognier and dancing = heaven.)
2005 Viognier Kathy's Cuvee, Rosenblum, California
2005 Chardonnay Riverstone, J. Lohr, Arroyo Seco
2005 Chardonel Creekbend Vineyard, Oliver, Indiana (This wine is maturing extremely nicely, and I think it is complex and delicious. The end.)
2006 Chambourcin Rosé Creekbend Vineyard, Oliver, Indiana (Picnictime!)
2005 Pinot Noir Rosé, Willow Vineyards, Lelanau Peninsula
2005 Pinot Noir Rosé, Sophia, Carneros
I know we have some more rosés here, but I they were probably sub-par, and therefore I forgot them.




Red:
Pinot Noir x 3154742589
2005 Pinot Noir, A to Z, Oregon (smelled like hot dogs)
2003 Pinot Noir, Rex Hill, Oregon
2004 Givry 1er Cru, (producer I can't remember), Burgundy
2004 Pinot Noir, Kenwood, Russian River Valley
2005 Pinot Noir, (ummm. don't remember.), Santa Rita Hills
2005 Pinot Noir, Adelsheim, Willamette Valley (Just had this one, spicy, fruity, fabulous acidity: superb.)
2005 Icon Pinot Noir, Nobilo, Marlborough (In my opinion, NZ pinot noir have been TOO OAKY!)
2003 Gamay Noir Reserve, Chateau Grand Traverse, Old Mission Peninsula
2005 Petalos, Decendientes de J. Palacios, Bierzo (¡Superguapo!)
2004 Grenache, Beckmen, Santa Ynez Valley (I love Grenache.)
2003 Carmenere Reserva, Misiones de Riego, Chile
2004 Old Vine Zinfandel, Cline
2004 Zinfandel, Rosenblum, Paso Robles
some more chilean carmenere
some really good Priorat as the house red in some really hip Barcelona bar
some nice juicy Mendoza malbecs with pizza
some random reds from Navarra or Tarragona or some other Catalán speaking place
A Ribiera del Douro
I know there were more reds.

Dessert/Port:
my first vintage port!
Museum Muscat, Yalumba, Australia
2002 Dolce, Napa Valley
ice wine from Niagra
Austrian Gruner Veltliner ice wine
lots of ruby and tawny port
a Banyul
some Sherry


Ok. An Incomplete List if ever one existed.
I also procured the World Atlas of Wine and the new edition of the Oxford Companion to Wine. And am looking for a fulfilling job in the industry if anyone wants to give me one, please don't use this horrible blog post as evidence of my skill or intelligence. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I admit I didn't make it throught the whole post, but it is because I came across Albariño! I love Albariño, but admitadly only by way of not wanting to drink Pino like everyone else

7:29 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Albariño is the next hot white wine. If people get over the (usual) bland grigio.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home